City Trustees - part of Mattioli Woods

News and Media

14 May 2015

Pensions Perspective: Can a non-UK resident join a UK pension scheme?

Since A-day there is no legislative restriction on who can be a member of a UK registered pension scheme. So in theory, anyone (regardless of residency) can join a UK scheme.

The key test for eligibility is based on habitual residence at the point that the contract is taken out. For a company, habitual residence is the country in which the business is established. For individuals, it is normally determined by the person’s residential address.

As such, non-UK nationals coming to work in the UK will be able to join a UK scheme providing they satisfy the eligibility criteria. Provided that the individual has a contract of employment and a residential address in the UK, this should be sufficient to deem them as habitually resident in the UK. Whilst this means they should be able to join a contract-based scheme, some providers will only accept applications from UK residents, so each case must be looked at on a case-by-case/provider basis.

As far as tax relief goes, company contributions should receive tax relief if they pass the wholly and exclusively test and personal tax relief is dependent on whether the individual is classed as a relevant UK individual for the tax year in question. To qualify they need to either:-

  • have relevant UK earnings chargeable to UK income tax for that year,
  • have been tax resident in the UK at some time during that year,
  • have been tax resident in the UK at some time during the five tax years immediately before that year and when they became a member of the pension scheme, or
  • they have, or their spouse/civil partner has, for that year, had general earnings from overseas Crown employment subject to UK tax.

Normal tax relief on personal contributions is restricted to 100% of relevant UK earnings or £3,600 if higher.

Condition 3 above does enable an individual who is moving overseas and who no longer has relevant UK earnings, to continue contributions for a further five tax years. As long as the pension contributions are paid to a scheme that was established prior to the individual becoming non-resident, tax relief will be available on:-

  • 100% of their relevant UK earnings (or £3,600 if higher) in the tax year they become non-resident, and
  • £3,600 for a further five tax years.

Just one last thing; non-UK residents should check there are no tax implications in their country of residence if they make contributions to a UK pension scheme, and the tax position when they take benefits also needs to be discussed.


Pension Perspective is a weekly feature from City Trustees, covering questions that our experienced sales and technical teams have received from advisers. The Q&A covers a range of subjects including property, pension contributions, protection, auto-enrolment and more.

City Trustees operates a free technical helpline for advisers for support with pension challenges. Tel: 0116 240 8731 or email:


< Back to News

City Trustees is a trading name of Mattioli Woods plc. For news updates on the Group, please visit our central News & Media on the Group website.